Thursday, April 28, 2016

How to Start a New Garden Where Grass Is Growing

From my last post, you know that I want to put some new gardens into my currently all grass backyard. According to the landscape designer's calculations, I will need 21 cubic yards of garden soil to do the entire garden! I can't image moving all that that dirt into the yard by myself. I'm sure hiring a pro to do it will cost a fortune.

grassy area 2

grassy area 1
This is what I'm faced with now. Blah.
Need a new patio & deck too but that's for another day.

After mulling it over for a few months, I decided I needed to look for a student to do the work. So I looked online and found a young person in my area willing to do the hard labour. He gave a great price too. Mind you, I have decided to do only half the garden this year, so the cost will not be as much.

New Garden Plan A

The City suggested that I:
  1. Mow the grass very short
  2. Put a layer of 5-6 sheets of newspaper over the area
  3. Pile on the soil until a depth of 6"
  4. Cover all the soil with 3" of mulch
  5. Dig a 3" trench all around
New Garden Plan B

My hired student will also be removing the grass. So, Plan B is:
  1. Remove grass
  2. Rent tiller for about $80 and till Earth
  3. Mix in approximately 3" depth of new garden soil
  4. Dig 3" trench around new bed
Less soil will mean less cost!

 I think it's doable!

If you are looking for a more intensive way to create a garden where there is grass you may want to check out this article.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails